The Laura Ingalls Wilder Memorial Society’s internship program is a one of a kind learning experience that offers students an opportunity to learn about the inner workings of a museum at one of South Dakota’s most famous tourist destinations.
The Society is a close-knit group of people looking for a talented, responsible intern who is interested in learning how to preserve, record, interpret, and exhibit a museum archives collection. We are offering a 12-week learning opportunity to work closely with the Executive Director and Assistant Directors on various projects and have the opportunity to meet visitors from around the world. You will become knowledgeable in all aspects of managing a museum collection and learn first-hand how a non-profit thrives. You will also gain skills in public speaking as well as a bit of South Dakota history!
What You Will Learn:
· How to give an interesting and informative presentation to groups
· Gain insight into the operations of a non-profit museum
· How to preserve, interpret, design, and exhibit collections
· Prepare, catalog, and generate findings using the digital collections management system, Past Perfect
· Create hands-on activities throughout museum buildings
· Help supervise tour guides
**Interns are welcome to propose projects of their choosing contingent upon agreement of the Executive Director, who will advise the project.
What We Require:
· Strong communication and moderate research skills.
· Must conduct oneself in a mature/professional manner and be able to work accurately and efficiently with minimal supervision.
· Experience with computer skills and camera use is a plus.
· Proficient in Microsoft Suite Office specifically Publisher and Photoshop Elements.
· Organized, with an ability to prioritize time-sensitive assignments.
· An interest in South Dakota history, Laura Ingalls Wilder, and pioneer life.
· Interest in archival, exhibition, history, museum studies, etc.
Can I get academic credit for my internship? Yes, but it is your responsibility to arrange to receive credit with your university before arriving.
How do I find housing? The museum will help locate housing
Do I need a vehicle? Yes, interns need to provide their own vehicle. Our tours go across town, so you will need to be able to drive.
Wage: $10/hour with housing assistance
Details: This is a full-time position and it begins May 15th and ends September 1st, but the dates are negotiable. This internship will be offered to an undergraduate student currently enrolled in a degree program at a two-to-four year institution or a recent graduate (no more than one year before the first day of the internship) in appropriate disciplines. Acceptable majors include: museum studies, history, anthropology, tourism, communications/English, and non-profit management.
2. Cover letter
3. Unofficial transcript
4. Writing sample (brief example of writing skills and style)
5. List 3 references
Please send all necessary documents to: firstname.lastname@example.org or mail to: Laura Ingalls Wilder Memorial Society, PO Box 426, De Smet, SD 57231